First and foremost, when hiring a photographer, you want someone who makes excellent images. But additionally, as when working with contractor, you should expect excellent customer service, a timely delivery of the final product, and no hidden fees. In addition to great photos, here is what I think EVERYONE should expect from the photographers they hire.
Before the shoot, a great photographer will:
– prepare a clear estimate and, if needed, a well-written contract
– be accessible by email and/or phone when you have questions or need their input
– provide you with a detailed list of what YOU are responsible for including a shot list, props, models, etc.
– assure you that they have liability insurance
During the shoot, a great photographer will:
– show up on time, looking clean and professional
– work quickly and efficiently so as not to waste your time or money
– consider your input as they incorporate their own style and creativity
– make you, and whoever else is in front of the camera, feel comfortable and at ease
– take the initiative to solve problems on their own
– leave their ego at the door and make you, the customer, come first
After the shoot, a great photographer will:
– deliver the products in a timely manner
– provide an invoice that doesn’t include any hidden or unexpected fees
– follow up with you to make sure you have everything you need
– stay in touch over time to see if they can be of further service
Not all photographers prioritize excellent customer service, so feel free to make your expectations clear up front. If you aren’t 100% convinced that you’ll receive the level of service you’re looking for (and paying for), keep looking. Professional photography is an investment and you deserve to have the best.